Thursday, February 27, 2014

Day 24: Ain't Life Grand?

I would just like to take a quick moment to express HOW FREAKIN' AMAZING LIFE IS!!!! Never in my life have I so clearly experienced Heavenly Father's hand in my life. Crazy, incredible, and wonderful things are happening, and I am just so humbled to be a part of it all. 
Those of you who see this blog through Tonergy's Facebook page are well aware of the fact that we are planning a DVD series. Filming started today, and it was just was just so unbelievably amazing! A dream come true. We are so excited for this, and you should be too! Here is a little sneak peak for you, taken minutes before we started shooting:



Looks pretty cool, eh? We think so! AHHHHH!!!! So excited, I can't stand it!

But enough of that excitement, this blog is supposed to be about how I am doing with my Paleo challenge, so let's do this. Since I just filmed a CRAZY HARD workout, let's talk about the Paleo diet and athletes. Can athletes get enough fuel from a Paleo diet to perform their best? The answer is: Not always. 
Here is an amazing article I found concerning this matter. I love the quote at the beginning of it: 

 "Serious athletes, however, when it comes to immediately before, during, and directly after workouts, need to bend the rules of the Paleo Diet a bit since we're placing demands on the body that were not normal for our Stone Age ancestors. Hour after hour of sustained high energy output and the need for quick recovery are the serious athlete’s unique demands. This requires some latitude to use nonoptimal foods on a limited basis. The exceptions may best be described by explaining the athlete’s 5 stages of daily eating relative to exercise."
This leads me to a dilemma, however. Do I bend the rules while I am filming these videos, or do I stick to it, hardcore? I don't know what I'm going to do. Tomorrow we film two videos though, so I know I'm going to be needing some extra energy! I'll have to let you know tomorrow what my decision is.

This article also had some good advice. Here is a quote that stuck out to me:

"The few hours after hard exercise is the time to focus on carbohydrates and to possibly eat non-Paleo — starchy foods like bagels or pasta — because the high glucose is needed for the recovery process. The perfect recovery foods in this period, said Friel, are raisins, potatoes and yams."

Good thing I have some raisins I can munch on tomorrow in between takes! I will say, it has been a little harder for me since I started Paleo. I think it's the slower recovery time. I will need to adjust what I am eating and when, so I can have peak performance all the time! 

Just for fun....
Here are some athletes (according to this website) that practice a Paleo lifestyle:
  1. Carol Nichols – USA Field Hockey
  2. Kobe Bryant (not officially), but this looks pretty paleo to us.
  3. Kobe’s Teammate Steve Nash follows a similar protocol
  4. Greg Parnham – Elite Mountain Biker
  5. Josh Welburn – NFL
  6. Amanda Beard – Olympic Swimmer
  7. Kelly Slater – Professional Surfer
  8. Professional snowboarder Iris Lazz
  9. Mixed Martial Arts Fighter – Abe Wagner
  10. The Garmin Cycling Team (gluten free only for now)
  11. Novak Djovak – Tennis Pro

That is all I have for you today! Sorry it's kind of short, and no fun recipe to try, but it's been a busy day, and tomorrow is going to be even crazier! You have an amazing day!


We're ready to rock this! Are you??


Food Log:
Berries
Raw veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes)
2 large bowl of butternut squash soup (2 different meals)
Almonds
Apple pie Lara Bar
Walnuts
Large cobb salad (spinach, kale, chicken, red onion, egg, cucumber, tomato, olive oil, guacamole for dressing)

Here are some fun "before" pictures from the scene of our videos!


We had to clean up a bit beforehand. "It's a hard knock
life, for us!"
The stage is set! Ready to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment