Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Day 10: Road Trip

I'm a third of the way through the challenge guys! Wohoo!!! 

To say today has been a long one would be an understatement! I left town this morning at
5 am for work, returned at 8:30 am only to leave again at 10 am and return again a little bit past 9 pm. It's been quite the day folks! But guess what? Even with all that traveling, I still managed to keep things Paleo. How? Because I planned ahead.

The first road trip this morning was easy to keep Paleo. I had originally planned on making a smoothie for a breakfast on the road, but as I had eaten extremely late the night before, I wasn't hungry. So I just grabbed a water and my bag of almonds in case I got peckish. 

The hour and a half rest stop back at home before hitting the road again was such a life saver! I was able to take a short nap (I barely slept the night before), and I was able to make myself some brunch. That meant one less meal I needed to pack for the road! And by eating a filling meal at this time I was able to resist any possible later temptation. 

Despite being able to eat a brunch at home, I still had to plan for the fact that I was about to be gone for hours with access to nothing to eat but gas station food and a Subway. Clearly not too many Paleo options there. So I packed it! I should of taken a picture, my bad. But here's what I took: Water, Almonds (of course!), carrot sticks, blueberries, and left over chicken fajitas from last night. Chicken fajitas might seem like a weird choice to take on a road trip, especially since they require a warm up in a microwave to taste good. But I wasn't worried. Why? Because what gas station doesn't have a microwave these days, right? I just packed everything in a mini cooler and off I went! Simple! If you plan ahead it is absolutely possible to maintain a healthy diet while traveling :)

Want to know how I made my delicious Paleo Fajitas? Here's how!


  1. I started by cooking 1 large yellow onion and 2 green bell peppers with coconut oil. Cook until they reach the level of softness you desire. I personally like mine a little more cooked. 
  2. While the onions and peppers are cooking, chop up about a pound and a half of chicken breast and cook on medium heat with coconut oil. I was a little lazy with this step and used some taco seasoning I had in the cupboard to flavor the chicken. But it is best to make your own fajita seasoning to avoid unhealthy fillers that many of these fajita or taco seasonings use. Here is a recipe for making your own (if doing Paleo, leave out the sugar). 
  3. Next I made my "tortillas". I found this recipe for Paleo Naan and thought, why not? Close enough to a tortilla, yeah? I added salt to it, and it worked out well enough!
  4. While cooking the tortillas (they take awhile) I made a guacamole with 1 avocado, half of a roma tomato, some red onion, cilantro, and the juice from half of a lime, plus a little lime zest and salt.
  5. Assemble this goodness! I threw on some salsa and extra cilantro and Bam! Paleo Chicken Fajitas! 
    Check out this yumminess!

These really were good! The naan recipe gives it a different flavor that you'd traditionally be familiar with, but that's not to say it didn't taste great! I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Ingredients:
1 large yellow onion
2 green bell peppers
1 1/2 lbs of chicken breast
fajita or taco seasoning
guacamole or 1 avocado, some tomato, red onion, cilantro, salt, 1/2 of a lime
salsa
cilantro

Ingredients for Tortillas:
1/2 c almond flour
1/2 c tapioca flour
1 c coconut milk, full fat
salt

Makes 6-7 small tortillas

Fun little story for those of you who are familiar with Team Tonergy! Nikki and Tamara had a weak moment and needed gas station goodies, stat! They had no idea I was taking pictures of them as they paced the isles of KB Express desperately seeking out sugary treats to satisfy their cravings. 

See? Trainers are human too! We need afternoon pick-me ups in the middle of a busy day, just like you! 

Yes those are giant cookies. And Lemon Heads. I ate
pumpkin seeds
Food Log:

Pre Brunch: Handful of almonds
Brunch: 3 egg scramble with spinach, 1 strip of bacon, s&p
Snacks: Blueberries, carrot sticks, almonds
Dinner: 2 chicken fajitas
Snack: Raspberries and cashews
Desert: 1 piece of 85% dark chocolate with almond butter






No comments:

Post a Comment